Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On shutting up

"Nagshu-shut up ka na naman," (you're shutting up again) a friend once said.

I don't know what there is in just keeping my mouth shut that makes me more at ease in handling unwanted situations. Whenever I come across extreme emotions, I barely say a thing. I would rather tilt my head and say nothing, thinking of how bad I am in handling these feelings.

I was never good at controlling myself. Looking back, I realize that self control is something I've always wanted to have. So when I feel like I have to avoid doing something, I find myself having a quiet time. Not only does it allow me to refrain from saying something inappropriate, it also allows me to think clearly, to have a thorough glimpse of the situation I'm into.

At times, people think I only shut up because I'm mad. Well, I also succumb to silence when I want to clear my mind. When I think of something I believe is not worth of my time, I make use of silence to simply get rid of the thought of it. I don't know about others but for me, being quiet makes it easier to erase thoughts I believe won't do me any good especially when everyone around me keeps on talking about it. I guess it's also a good way of telling others that I'm not liking the topic anymore.

I may always be misunderstood about my quiet times but I think people just have to respect me for it. Silence offers me my own personal space where I can think clearly, clear my mind, or perhaps just simply take a little time to relax. It may sound a little weird for others but I guess that's just my way of handling things while I'm still trying to gain self-control. Besides, I don't always shut up, do I?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess it's just a matter of how long do you keep silent and process the situation until you say/do something about it? At times, other people are waiting for you. Atin kasing crucial instances na mamisinterpret ing "silence" or "waiting time" mu as something else and this may hurt them (although ali mu naman sasadyan).

On the other hand, it's also a great measure of how well another person knows you -- he/she will know when and how long to let you have some time for yourself. :D

Nickee-Tickee said...

waw, na-intimidate naman ako sa comment ni kuya rex, napaka serious! samantalang ako, ang sasabihin ko lang ay miss na kita kuya jer, and i'm glad you're blogging again. :)

gddepadua said...

AH, SHUT UP!

Haha. Joke Lang. Naku Jer, alam na. BUti ka pa nakapag blog na ulit.